Bracken Baptist Church building
Photography by Lloyd Schiltz

 

Built in 1842, the Bracken Baptist Church building in Minerva, on Mason County's western border, is one of Kentucky's finest examples of early 1800's Greek Revival architecture.  Last used as a church around 1900, the building served as a tobacco barn for many decades.  A local non-profit organization rescued the structure and spearheaded its restoration, which was completed in 2005.  A balcony used by slaves can be accessed by two sets of narrow stairs beside the main entry doors.  The original Bracken Church building was built by Rev. Lewis Craig, who brought the "Traveling Church" to Kentucky in the late 1700's.
                                                         

interior, facing front doors

 RETURN TO PHOTO GALLERY

 

Home   | Our Company |   Our Team |   Residential |   Lots |   Farms & Land |   Commercial
Rental Property |   Mortgage Calculator   | What's New |   Local Information |   Photo Gallery